A Power plant has following annul factor: Load factor = 0.75; Capacity factor = 0.60; Maximum demand is = 60 MW; Estimate (a) The annual Energy production (b) The reserve capacity over and above the peak Load and (c) The hours during which the plant not in Service.
Calculate the cost of generation per kWhr for a power station having following data:
Installed capacity of plant =200MW; Capital cost=Rs400 crores; Rate of interest and depreciation =12%; Annual cost of fuel , salaries and taxation=Rs 5 crores; Load factor=50% Also estimate the saving in cost per KWhr if annual factor is raised to 60%.
A boiler uses 1000 kg of coal/ h. The temperature of hot gases inside the chimney is 650 K and the outside air temperature is 300 K. The draught produced by the chimney of 25 m height is 15 mm of water. Determine the air supplied per kg of fuel burnt , draught in terms of hot gases, mass flow rate of hot gases and area of the chimney required if the co-efficient of velocity is 0.4
1. Explain the constructional difference between high pressure and low pressure. Why force circulation is necessary for high pressure boiler?
[What are the features / characteristics of high pressure boiler? List out the major advantages of high pressure boilers in modern thermal power plants.]
2. * Write a short note on Benson boiler.
3. * Draw the line diagram of Schmidt Hartmann Boiler.
4. Give the compression between super critical and super charged boiler.
5. What do you understand by FBC? Explain its working principle with neat sketch.
[Explain the PFBC system with neat sketch.]
6. Give the difference between recuperator and regenerative type heat exchanger.
7. Write a brief note on superheat control.
8. Write a short on Corrosion in boilers and its prevention.
1. * Explain the arrangement of diesel power plant with neat sketch and briefly explain function of each system.
2. Advantages - disadvantages and application of diesel power plant.
3. * Explain distributor fuel injection system with diagram.
4. Explain necessity of cooling in diesel power plant and Write a brief note on thermo siphon cooling.
5. Compare the wet sump and dry sump lubrication system.
6. * Explain working of full pressure lubrication system with a schematic.
1. * Sketch the various component of Nuclear power plant and briefly discuss each.
2. Explain the chain reaction.
3. State the function of coolant, reactors, moderator and control rods.
4. Explain the HTGC and GCGM reactor with sketch.
5. * Write a short note on CANDU reactor.
6. * Explain pressurised water reactor with neat sketch.
7. Explain fission and fusion process for nuclear power plant.
1. Write the brief note on various steps in Coal handling.
2. Write a short note on coal storage of coal
3. Briefly discuss the various mechanical devices for coal inplant handling with their suitability.
4. State the principle of over feed / under feed stokers. / compare the under feed and overfeed supply of coal.
5. Explain Spreader type or Sprinkler Stoker with neat sketch.
6. Write a short not on travelling grate / chain grate stoker.
7. Explain the bin (central) system of pulverizing with neat sketch.
8. Explain the working of electrostatic precipitator with neat sketch.
9. Classify various ash handling system and explain pneumatic and steam jet system.
10. Draw the neat sketch of cyclone burner and cyclone separator.
1. What is the function of cooling tower in modern power plant? Describe with neat sketch working of mechanical cooling tower.
2. Draw the neat diagram of hyperbolic cooling tower and state the advantages and disadvantages.
3. Define the Dalton’s law of partial pressure apply to condenser of steam power plant.
4. What are the principle reasons to use condenser in power plant. Classify them.
5. Describe with the neat sketch the operation of following condenser.
a) Jet condenser, b) Surface condenser and c) Evaporating condenser
6. What are the sources of air leakage in to a condenser? Briefly discuses the effect of air leakage on the performance of condenser.